When it comes to online dating, research has proven singles’ drinking behavior can play a major role in finding love—or not finding it. The research study conducted by FirstMet.com‘s data team found that members who reported drinking always got more responses online than non-drinkers. Additionally, single members in the United States over 30 who reported drinking often also had more friends (56 more friends to be exact) along with social circles that are 30% larger than nondrinkers.
We know singles in the United States indulge when it comes to alcohol consumption, and they seem to be looking for a mate that feels the same, so this got us thinking: what role does alcohol play in online dating on a global scale?
To begin, we analyzed over 400,000 member profiles worldwide to discover which countries have the most heavy drinkers; i.e.) members who self-reported “drinking often” in their profile. The data shows that the Australia is home to some of the heaviest drinkers in the world, with 4.4% of singles saying they drink often. See the top 10 results below:
Here are the top 10 countries with the heaviest drinkers:
1. Australia – 4.4% of singles drink often
2. Israel – 4.1% of singles drink often
3. United Kingdom – 4.1% of singles drink often
4. India – 3.9% of singles drink often
5. Ireland – 3.2% of singles drink often
6. United States – 2.9% of singles drink often
7. South Africa – 2.7% of singles drink often
8. Canada – 2.7% of singles drink often
9. Denmark – 1.4% of singles drink often
10. Finland – 1.4% of singles drink often
Once we established the countries with the heaviest drinkers, we took it a step further and analyzed over 1.5 million interactions between singles around the world to determine how likely a male member was to contact a female member based on her drinking behavior, and vice versa.
The data shows that in every one of the top 10 countries, single men and women who drink are more preferred online. But not all drunk singles have an equal shot at finding love. Here are the highlights:
– Men in Canada that drink often are 2x as likely as men in Denmark to be contacted online
– Women that drink often have nearly a 1 in 5 chance of being contacted in Australia compared to a 1 in 10 chance in Denmark
– Men that drink socially in South Africa are nearly 4x as likely to be contacted compared to women that drink socially in India.
– Men that drink socially in Australia are nearly 3x as likely to be contacted compared to women that drink socially in India.
Our advice for the drinkers?
If you are a man that drinks often:
The best country for you is Canada, followed by Ireland.
If you are a woman that drinks often:
The best country for you is Ireland, followed by Australia.
Click here to download the high res infographic